|Election of God|
|Written by arkwriter|
|Thursday, 30 July 2009 17:05|
Election of God
Every four years a national election for the presidency is held in the United States of America. Some states also hold elections for senators, congressmen, governors, judges and others. In the political world we all know the meaning of the word “election”, but from the religious point of view this same word has a very different meaning.
The word “election” appears in both the Old and the New Testaments. The Hebrew word “bachar” translated as “Elect” is designated for the Lord Jesus Christ. “Behold! My Servant whom I uphold, My Elect One in whom My soul delights! I have put My Spirit upon Him; He will bring forth justice to the Gentiles.” (Isa. 42:1)
God also calls “Israel My Elect.” (Isa. 45:4) Election is a prominent theme in the Old Testament. There is God’s choice of Abraham and his “seed” that in him “all the families of the earth shall be blessed.” (Gen. 12:3).
Secondly, there is the choice of Israel whom God led out of bondage into freedom (Ex. 19:4-6) In the New Testament, the Lord Jesus Christ is the Elect One “A chief cornerstone, elect, precious, and he who believes in Him will by no means be put to shame.” (1 Pet. 2:4-6) God destined us in love to be His children through Jesus Christ (Eph. 1:5).
The Church of the Lord Jesus Christ is called “a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.” (1 Pet. 2:9)
Four Biblical Truths concerning the Election of God
1. Election is "in the Lord Jesus Christ". Ephesians 1:4 states: "He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him."
2. Election is UNTO SALVATION. “But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.” (2 Thes. 2:13)
3. Election is an act of God’s absolute SOVEREIGNTY. God was not moved by anything outside Himself to choose the people He chose to save. “For the children not yet born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to the election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls.” (Rom. 9:11)
4. God's election was an act of free, UNCONDITIONAL GRACE. “Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace. And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no long works.” (Rom. 11:5-6)
How did God and men Elect a King?
God’s purpose for Israel was to have His people be different from all other nations. However, they wanted to be like their neighbors to have a king judge them (1 Sam. 8:4-6) “And the LORD said to Samuel, ‘Heed the voice of the people in all that they say to you; for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me, that I should not reign over them.” (1 Sam. 8:7-9). “Now therefore, heed their voice. However, you shall solemnly forewarn them, and show them the behavior of the king who will reign over them.” (1 Sam. 8:9)
Saul was “a choice and handsome young man. There was not a more handsome person than he among the children of Israel. From his shoulders upward he was taller than any of the people.” (1 Sam. 9:2) “So all the people went to Gilgal, and there they made Saul king before the LORD in Gilgal. There they made sacrifices of peace offerings before the LORD, and there Saul and all the men of Israel rejoiced greatly.” (1 Sam. 11:15) Saul had early success on the battlefield but after he disobeyed God’s instructions to utterly destroy the Amalekites the LORD was displeased with him. Saul was rejected by God as the king of Israel.
When Samuel was mourning over God’s rejection of Saul as Israel’s king God consoled him. “But the LORD said to Samuel, ‘Do not look at his appearance or the height of his stature, because I have refused him. For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” (1 Sam. 16:7)
God wanted another man to succeed Saul as the king of Israel and so He sent Samuel to the home of Jesse who made seven of his sons pass before him. When David was brought in “he was ruddy, with bright eyes, and good-looking. And the LORD said, ‘Arise, anoint him; for this is the one!” (1 Sam. 16:12)
Here we see how men elected Saul as their king by the democratic process of popularity and majority votes, but God demonstrated His sovereignty by electing David as the king of Israel. Saul was a king after the people’s own heart, but David was the king after God’s own heart. “And when He had removed him, He raised up for them David as king, to whom also He gave testimony and said, ‘I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My own heart, who will do all My will.” (Acts13:22; 1 Sam. 13:14)
Elect a national leader who does the will of God
It is the unwritten rule and policy of this congregation not to use the pulpit as a platform to endorse a political candidate for an election or to promote a political party. We respect the right of choice of every church member, and we do recognize the ministers’ responsibility to discuss the issues that relate to morals and ethics of Christianity and biblical principles. During the conventions of both major political parties and especially during the presidential debates many controversial issues were contested. There are three moral and ethical issues that polarize the two presidential candidates and their political parties.
2. Same-sex marriage – Both presidential candidates are against it but differ in their positions as to whether or not there should be a constitutional amendment? We cannot leave this moral issue for individual states to make their own decisions and laws. We support the constitutional amendment to be adopted for the whole nation.
3. Human stem cell research funding – Some claim that stem cell tissues may be used to replace or repair cells that belong to patients of degenerative diseases such as those of the heart, diabetes, cancer, even diseases of the nervous system such as Parkinson’s Disease and Alzheimer’s Disease. Since the source of stem cells may come from human embryos that are discarded fetus from aborted babies, there is a great possibility of an exponential increase in abortions to obtain the stem cells for financial gains. The U.S. government already has approved funds for research on the existing stem cells. Taxpayers' money should not be used for additional funding of this research because of the ethical issue. Our positions on the above three issues are clearly based on the teachings of the Holy Bible, therefore we should only vote for the candidates who conform to the will and the Word of God.
Our positions on the above three issues are clearly based on the teachings of the Holy Bible, therefore we should only vote for the candidates who conform to the will and the Word of God.
There will be Great Tribulation during the End Time
Just reading the biblical prophecies concerning the End Time and comparing them to the present world situation it is difficult for any well-informed Christian not to think we are now on the brink of Armageddon – the last and final war that precedes our Lord’s Second Coming.
“Then the sixth angel poured out his bowl on the great river Euphrates, and its water was dried up, so that the way of the kings from the east might be prepared. And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs coming out of the mouth of the dragon, out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet. For they are spirits of demons, performing signs, which go out to the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty. "Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches, and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame." And they gathered them together to the place called in Hebrew, Armageddon.” (Rev. 16:12-16)
Almighty God will protect the Elect
“For then there will be great tribulation such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake those days will be shortened.” (Mt. 24:21-22) “But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly. For it will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man." (Lk. 21:34-36)
“Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth." (Rev. 3:10)
The Elect will be taken to a Place of Safety
"Now when the dragon saw that he had been cast to the earth, he persecuted the woman who gave birth to the male Child. But the woman was given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness to her place, where she is nourished for a time and times and half a time from the presence of the serpent." (Rev. 12:13-14)
The Lord Jesus Christ Returns
to bring His Elect with Him to Heaven
“Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will shaken. Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.” (Mt. 24:29-31)May God bless you
A sermon based on this article was preached by Paul Wong
to a Congregation in Houston, Texas on October 23, 2004
This article was published on this Website on July 31, 2009
|Last Updated on Thursday, 07 June 2012 03:08|